Caldicott Guardian Training
Our 1 day CPD accredited Caldicott Guardian training course is suitable for newly appointed or experienced Caldicott roles, including those who are required to support Caldicott Guardians. It meets the annual training requirements as specified in the Information Governance Toolkit (IG Toolkit which states “Organisations should ensure that Caldicott Guardians and Caldicott leads are offered effective training and support”).
The training also provides up to date advice and guidance in a constantly evolving role.
It is a practical, interactive course with detailed handouts. We cover a range of topics including:
- Sharing information safely
- The new 2016 Caldicott Guardian Manual
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) update
- Case studies
- Guidance for lawful and ethical processing of information
- Mini Healthcheck to test your organisation’s compliance in key areas
- Excellent training – thank you very much!
- Excellent thought provoking day – great facilitation.
- Thank you – you made what could have been very dry, very interesting and relevant!
- Informative – lots of things for me to do (again!)
- Very interactive, good informative session.
- Really interesting, something I had to attend but really enjoyed it!
- Great course – its undersold online and not at all clear that it’s presented by such great experts – thanks.
Whilst a Director of BLS Ltd, Sandra is also the Vice Chair for the UK Caldicott Guardian Council (UKCGC).
Prior to Stay Compliant, Sandra was the Assistant Director of Information Assurance at a large city council with a role of Caldicott Guardian for Adult Social Services.
Gary is a retired Police Superintendent with 30 years experience in a large police force.
He is an accredited police Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO) and has been the senior decision-maker in high profile police enquiries involving police information-rights and disclosure.
Key Learning Objectives for this course are:
- Understand your role as a Caldicott Guardian
- Assess your own organisations compliance with the Caldicott principles
- Adhere to Caldicott Principle 6: “Comply with the Law” and Principle 7: “the Duty to Share”
- Learn to recognise what are “Caldicott Decisions”
- Enhance your confidence in making appropriate Caldicott decisions
- Be aware of confidentiality and ethical considerations
- Learn from case studies of breaches by NHS and Social Care organisations
Why Do Caldicott Guardians Need Training?
- NHS organisations have been required to have a Caldicott Guardian since 1998 and they were introduced into social care in 2002, mandated in England by Local Authority Circular: LAC(2002)2. The sharing of health information to benefit service users in social care is equally as important as it is in the NHS.
- Caldicott Guardians and SIROs are distinct but complementary roles: Caldicott Guardians are primarily responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of personal information whilst SIROs have responsibility for understanding how the strategic business goals of the organisation may be impacted by any information risks, and for taking steps to mitigate them.
- Dame Fiona Caldicott, in her role as the National Data Guardian, along with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), have recently highlighted the importance of specialist training for senior information leadership roles, including Caldicott Guardians and SIROs.
Below are extracts from Dame Fiona’s latest NDA report: Data Security Review dated July 2016, relating to training and its importance within the Health and Social care sector:
Properly trained and well-motivated staff are essential.
Annual role-appropriate training should be mandatory for all who work in health and social care, with bespoke additional training for people in leadership roles, such as Caldicott Guardians, SIROs and board members.
When considering what could help to address behavioural issues, consistent training, education and awareness emerged as being vital.
The human element is considered one of the most relevant threat factors and should be mitigated through tailored training for all staff.
Our Director is an experienced and active national Caldicott Guardian and StayCompliant staff have extensive and practical expertise which we bring to our CPD accredited courses.
Upcoming Caldicott Guardian Courses
|Start Date||Course & Details||Location||Price||Status|
|16 July, 2019||Elliot House, 151 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3WD||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|10 September, 2019||Elliot House, 151 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3WD||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|11 September, 2019||Friends House, 173 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|3 October, 2019||Friends House, 173 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|5 November, 2019||Elliot House, 151 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3WD||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|6 December, 2019||Friends House, 173 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|