Responding to Requests for Information: SARs, FOIs and EIR
This one day course is designed to provide an overview of handling requests for information relating to Right of Access (Subject Access Request), Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulation 2004.
The course is delivered by Information Rights expert, Gary Baker, who is a retired police superintendent, an accredited Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO) and senior decision-maker in high profile police disclosures and third party access requests. An experienced member of, and contributor to Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARAC) and Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA)
1.Subject Access Request
“The right of access, commonly referred to as subject access, gives individuals the right to obtain a copy of their personal data as well as other supplementary information. It helps individuals to understand how and why you are using their data, and check you are doing it lawfully.” Source ICO
This course will assist delegates in responding to requests for personal/special category data held by your organisation. Specifically the course will:
- Assist you in recognising a valid request (verbal and written).
- Explain how to verify the identity of the applicant and, if necessary, how to clarifying the request with the applicant.
- Help you to understand when requests made on behalf of others are valid e.g. solicitors and how to respond.
- Demonstrate how to handle requests relating to children.
- Establish whether the retrieved information is personal data.
- Explain what to do if the data includes information about other people (third-party considerations).
- To identify the potential exemptions under the Data Protection Act.
- Identify what must be provided as part of a valid response.
- Explain the format of the response.
- Assist you in understanding how to deal with complaints and investigations.
- Identifying appropriate staff awareness and training for SAR within your organisation.
2. Freedom of Information Act 2000
This course will assist delegates in how to manage requests for information and those who advise and support them. The topics covered in this session include:
- An overview of the FOI Act.
- How to Validate requests, and the format of a response.
- How to calculate and understand the fees regime.
- How to handle refusal notices.
- How to handle complaints.
- An explanation of each exemption as well as the Public Interest Test.
- An overview of Datasets.
- Answers to commonly asked questions including CCTV.
- An overview of the new and revised S.45 Code of Practice.
The Course Also Includes
- Full course materials
- Certificate of Attendance
Upcoming ‘Responding to Requests for Information’ Courses
|Start Date||Course & Details||Location||Price||Status|
|21 January, 2020||Friends House, 173 Euston Rd, London NW1 2BJ||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|
|27 February, 2020||Elliot House, 151 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 3WD||£375.00 exc. VAT||Places Available|